Environmental Engineering Personal Statement Example

Nowadays, Environmental Engineering plays a vital role in the world as the environment is being put under constantly increasing pressure. As I am fascinated by Science and Mathematics and feel that the environment is incredibly important, I decided to study this course.

I have always been intrigued by the mechanics of the universe and hence I quickly developed an interest in science and the subjects explaining everything from simple events of everyday life to the very complex phenomenon which is the Big Bang.

I particularly enjoy Mechanical Physics because I like to observe my environment and understand how it works, and so the initial introduction to this subject interested me even more and my curiosity pushed me to go into it in greater depth.

I recently discovered a more developed mathematical aspect of it, which is Linear Algebra, and after a quick overview of it, I became enthusiastic and purchased a book entitled “Linear Algebra for Dummies” which I am sure will be an intriguing experience.

Mathematics! One of my favourite subjects since primary school. I have always loved the excitement you get when you finish a complicated problem, or when you find the missing piece of a tricky puzzle, which makes all the effort worthwhile. I have never had any trouble understanding Mathematics and I always enjoyed challenging myself during my spare time by doing the most complex exercises in my Maths books.

Back when I was in my first year of secondary school, I participated with my class in the departmental contest called “Rallye Mathématique” in Nice. The aim was to do as many maths problems as possible in a certain amount of time, and we gained two things: first place in the competition and most of all, an experience where we learned to help each other and work together as a team.

During the last few years, I've really appreciated doing more and more difficult equations as I considered them a challenge to my logic and mind, trying every possible technique and wondering for hours how to find the solution to a very delicate equation. As a result, I always felt rewarded when I finally solved it.

My interest in Mathematics pushed me to choose Further Mathematics in my last year, in which I studied a new and attractive branch of the subject. Additionally to these two courses, the French system also gave me access to other fascinating subjects such as Philosophy, Biology and Geology.

Sport has always been one of my passions. I am currently playing two fantastic games : basketball, in the top division of the department; and also rugby sevens at an academic level in a special sport section called “Sevens Academy” which is a unique experience in France.

These two sports have helped me develop certain qualities: perseverance, teamwork and communication, due to the constant need to push further as a team. What's more, as I am the point guard of my basketball team, I play an important role and I have to be very lucid as basketball victories lie in teamwork and the efforts provided by the point guard to have a quick and fluid game. I want to continue with sport during my college years since it’s an important part of my life.

Being in an international school, I have been able to become fully bilingual. I speak French and English and have some notions of Italian which gives me the advantage of being immersed in different cultures and international literature.

Another thing which I feel has made me a more open-minded person is my travel experience throughout Europe. I am deeply looking forward to University since it will provide me with a stimulating environment where I will be able to try new sports and even learn Chinese, which I find an interesting language. It will provide me with a solid start in life as well, which will hopefully lead me to work in environmental engineering or possibly do further studies.

This personal statement was written by Peter G for application in 2011.

Peter G's university choices
University of Southampton
Cardiff University
University of Sussex
University of Exeter

Peter G's Comments

This is the final version of my personal statement which I sent, I managed to get the universities I wanted : Southampton and Exeter. As I am a french student doing an OIB program, they asked me grades for the French Bac :
Southampton : 14 Overall, 14 in Maths and 14 in Physics.
Exeter : 13 Overall, 12 in Maths and 10 in English.
These grades are good for the French OIB Bac as 14 could be considered as AAA.

dJXeGicPk

A round of applause for your blog.Much thanks again. Really Cool.