English, Education & Sociology Personal Statement Example

I have always been enthusiastic about English. I spent a lot of time reading when I was younger and feel that this benefited me by encouraging me to develop and learn quickly. I had a vivid imagination as a child, possibly influenced by my interest in the captivating work of such authors as Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and Charles Kingsley. I still enjoy reading in my spare time. It is impossible for me to choose my favourite book, but I have taken pleasure numerous times in reading 'A Child Called It' by Dave Pelzer, a book which I find mesmerising and deeply moving, and 'Little Women' by Louisa May Alcott, a powerful and inspiring novel. I
enjoy literature that can provoke a range of emotions in the reader from start to finish, and I think that these books fit the bill perfectly.

What attracts me most to English is not only the chance to expand my literary knowledge, but the opportunity I am given to communicate my own thoughts and ideas. I love how writers can express their opinions and emotions in words that can influence, inspire and touch others. For this reason, creative writing is one of my favourite aspects of the subject. The way I can express myself freely on paper is a liberating feeling for me, and I find writing to be a useful and therapeutic way of conveying my emotions. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in education so far. I like learning and feeling motivated by a challenge. I am passionate about all the subjects I study in college, which is why I chose to continue all four from AS to A2 level this year. English is the subject that I have enjoyed most since my earliest days in primary school, and I still find the study of both language and literature deeply interesting.

The part of the A level course that has appealed to me most so far is the current piece of A2 coursework I am producing, in which I am doing a text transformation of the classic Emily Bronte novel, 'Wuthering Heights'. I also study Drama, for which I have a deep respect because of the way it has helped to vastly increase my confidence over the past few years. My greatest dramatic achievement to date was performing in ‘Ghost from a Perfect Place’ by Philip Ridley in my first year at college. I had to work intensively with four people I didn’t usually associate with outside lessons, which greatly enhanced my communication and teamwork skills, and the lengthy script I had to commit to memory helped to further my confidence and self-belief. Sociology is a subject I was only first introduced to when I started college last year, and I have found it very interesting to look at the way society is made up and the different theories and perspectives sociologists have. I also study Media, in which I have to have a critical eye for things and need to rise to challenges and meet deadlines.

I think that university life would suit me as it would give me the chance to grow as a person and become more confident and independent. It would also obviously enable me to further my education in a way that will greatly benefit me in my life, with regards to my future career. After university I would like to become a primary school teacher. I think that helping young children to realise their potential would be a significantly rewarding job that I would look forward to every day. Malcolm X once said, "Without education, you are not going anywhere in this world." This is a concept I would like to use to inspire young people and encourage them to appreciate the importance of their education.

In my first year at college I was part of the online magazine, The Student Times, where I had more of a research position than a writing role. As much I enjoyed my time working on the magazine, I have decided to concentrate more on my academic studies during my second year. Outside college I enjoy reading, writing, music, films, fitness and the Internet. I have a wide group of friends and enjoy socialising with them. I also like the independence and responsibility that comes with having part time employment.

Overall I believe I am a responsible, dedicated and hard-working person. I am a good listener and I feel that my good communication skills would be essential for a teaching career, and would also help me in my time at university. I would really like to further my education and hopefully end up with a successful and fulfilling career. I think university would suit me because it would give me the chance to live and work independently for a change, and I would be able to meet many different people from all walks of life.

Enid Blyton? Roald Dahl? I

Enid Blyton? Roald Dahl? I read those too when I was about 5 and they're hardly impressive. I don't mean to sound nasty but I would advise others to include more intelligent books in their statement. Other than that, I actually think it's quite good.

I thinm if you want to study

I thinm if you want to study sociology aswell as english you have 2 expand on it..n state y it wud go well wiv english in more detail..but other then that it sounds okiee..

its good

its good

enid blyton and Dahl are two

enid blyton and Dahl are two of the most prolific and enduring authors in history. being able to captivate children means that blytons books are well written, and whilst i don't care for Dahl, he wrote very clever, brilliant short stories. the fact thta they are still read today shows their quality.

I feel that referring to an

I feel that referring to an author who you read as a young child does not show how far you've come in the recent years to enjoy this subject. Also, on the help writng a personal statement page it informs you to steer clear of the word "I" at the start of sentences. I feel that this personal statement reads like a list of "I's" and does the majority of the don't do's listed on the help page. Overall, I was not impressed.

hmmmmmmmm not very good.

hmmmmmmmm not very good.