Engineering Personal Statement Example

Maths and Physics have always fascinated me and from an early age I knew that it was in the science based subjects that my interests and greatest ability lay.

Although I have enjoyed the challenge that my school-based work has given me, I have always sought to extend my knowledge in these subject areas by considering the application of the theory we learn within the curriculum to the real world.Therefore I have been regularly engaging in problems that focus on engineering and relate mechanics to the real world.This has allowed me to see that engineering would be the ideal subject to study at the highest level for me. While physics and maths give one the background skills needed to assure the validity of innovation and technology, engineering seeks to apply this simultaneously with a desire for products to satisfy consumer needs such as efficiency, safety and cost. In this way the skills learnt during my economics A-level would be of great use during a career in engineering.
Earlier this year I had work experience at the Bentley Motors Factory where I gained a valuable insight into how different engineering principles can be applied in the workplace at alternative stages of a manufacturing process to create an automotive vehicle.Afterwards I wished to enhance my knowledge in the subject I pursued further reading into books such as “Cat's Paws and Catapults" by Steven Vogel and "Mathematical Methods for Science Students" by G. Stephenson.

Furthermore I have completed Bronze Crest Award on how Formula 1 cars function,Silver Crest Award on levitation and I am about to complete a Gold Crest award on The thermoelectric alternatives to traditional air conditioning where I am finishing building my own thermoelectric heater and ran tests to prove that it is a more efficient and eco friendly solution to traditional air conditioning.The sense of accomplishment I felt from transforming a simple concept into a functional device motivated me to pursue further opportunities.One such opportunity was the Big Bang Competition, where I participated with my idea, leveraging the knowledge gained from my Gold Crest Award. I am proud to have been recognized as the runner-up, which reinforced my belief in the value of persistence, creativity, and problem-solving skills. I also attended a summer school on Electronics and computer science at the University of Southampton, where I spent five days being introduced to various approachable first year undergraduate topics such as machine learning,artificial intelligence and the use of arduino’s.
This experience not only allowed me to discover areas of Electronics and Computer Science I would not otherwise have encountered, but also gave me a small taste of university life as we stayed in university dorms.

I enjoyed working on creating a physical product in my Gold Crest Project as well as gaining new insight into electronics due to the summer school that this summer I pursued into my own engineering project where I combined different engineering principles to create a vending machine.I was able to use spare wood to build the frame as well as an arduino to create the circuit and use levers,sensors and motors to dispense a product.

I also like to participate in school where I am a prefect and lead my own automotive society where I engage with like-minded individuals and contribute to collaborative projects and to further develop my leadership skills as well as teamworking skills I took part in Gold DofE.I also take part in the school community being a member of the student voice committee and I volunteer my time to tutor maths to Year 11 students during school hours. In my spare time I like to pursue my other interests such as karate where I have received a black belt as well as earned many awards in national competitions and I play the piano hoping to achieve grade 5 by the end of the year.
I very much look forward to exploring the new ideas of University level Engineering, and playing a full time part in University life.

How can I improve it???