Electronic Engineering Personal Statement Example 5

The subjects of maths and physics have always fascinated me and I knew very early on that I wanted to pursue a career that involves science. As I progressed through school I found that I was much more interested in the application of the theory rather than the theory itself, and this is why I would like to study electronic engineering.

I enjoy physics particularity as it can be observed in every aspect of life. From apples falling from trees to lightning, physics explains how the world works, and engineers throughout history have used their knowledge of physics to overcome problems that they face. The Romans built aqueducts to supply their cities with water; William Thomson helped lay the transatlantic telegraph cables that made communication between Europe and the Americas viable.

I also studied Advanced Higher Music last year at school. I am very interested in the use of electronics in music, and I wrote a project on the physics of the electric guitar. This interest prompted me to spend a week of work experience at Wolfson Microelectronics, a local company that engineer integrated circuits for many high profile audio equipment firms.

During my stay I was assigned the task of designing and assembling a circuit to investigate the voltage offset and noise created by an operational amplifier.

I was also introduced to a silicon microphone, a development which is sure to be significant in the future of electronics, and introduced to all the main stages in the development of a microchip, from design to failure analysis. My forthcoming Advanced Higher Physics investigation will be concerned with the properties of op-amps, the variables that affect these properties, and their applications.

In June, I attended a week-long Headstart course held at the University of Cambridge. We were given a task to assemble and programme a robot to navigate a course, using both dead-reckoning and sensors; I was part of the winning team. The course was thoroughly enjoyable and confirmed that engineering was the subject for me.

I have applied to spend my gap year working in the engineering industry, through the Year in Industry scheme. I hope that I will gain invaluable experience of the industry in which I would like to build my career in, and this will no doubt help me understand better how what I learn at university relates to real-world applications.

I play the violin, guitar and bagpipes all to a high standard. I am a first violin in the main school orchestra and the chamber orchestra, lead guitar in the school "Rhythm and Blues" band and a senior member of the pipe band. I hold the rank of Corporal in my school cadet force, and I am a young leader at my Scout troop.

Balancing these numerous extra-curricular activities with my academic work has forced me to develop my time management skills. My involvement in both cadets and Scouts has also greatly added to my team working and leadership skills.

I was the leader of the team that won the Edinburgh Area Scout camping competition in 2005, and we finished in the top 5 in the country. Currently, I am working towards both my Duke of Edinburgh Gold award and my Queen's Scout award.

I also have a keen interest in computers, assembling my first at the age of twelve, and I am currently teaching myself Mandarin Chinese, something that I would like to continue studying throughout university and a skill that I believe will be very useful in the future, especially in the electronics industry. I keep up to date with the latest scientific news in by reading both Physics Review and New Scientist.

I believe that studying electronic engineering is the best way for me to apply my accumulated knowledge of maths and physics and I look forward to a career that will constantly present me with new challenges.

This personal statement was written by neilgravir for application in 2009.

neilgravir's Comments

My referee (who is on the Oxford admissions board and therefore knows quite a lot about personal statements) said this was "excellent", so I'm quite pleased with it. My initial draft had too much on the extra-curricular side - we were told to make it 3/4 academic and 1/4 not. The way to get around this is to make it relevant to the course (if you can), or to university life in general (like time-management, working in teams etc.). Its around 3800 words - the limit being 4000.

yes

i have the whole series on blu-ray dvd

?

do u have any of the tellytubbies dvds??

uhh

i am 45 and i love them !

ur sad

ur sad btw

l

james ur a fud

l

heya sianan :PPPPPPP!!!!!

Romy needs da luvin.

Romy needs da luvin.

im 78 and im gagging for it !

im 78 and im gagging for it !!!!!! eh Romy Lyons

im 78 and im gagging for it !

bRiNg It???! oatcakes

bRiNg It???!

oatcakes

no can do, don't tap anyone

no can do, don't tap anyone under 85

sorry pipsqueak

Drew and Megan did it.

Drew and Megan did it.

they did it ALL!!

That's Drew Maclennan and

That's Drew Maclennan and Megan Rachel Paterson.

jeeez, the way he speaks

jeeez, the way he speaks about designing and testing hes got to be a pro already

this guy is such a gimp

this guy is such a gimp

THIS AIN'T 3800 WORDS!!! It's

THIS AIN'T 3800 WORDS!!! It's about 3800 CHARACTERS, INCLUDING SPACES!!!

yes i do;)

yes i do;)

Are you applying to Oxford?

I'm curious...

hi all

good one

RAA

me and u are almost 1 in the same i like music and i am interseted in electronic engineering........althought im still doing associates degree

Guy who didn't make it to uni

sick personal satement

the unis just didn't let me copy it.
i got caught for plajerism.
:(