Economics Personal Statement Example 3

When moving from GCSE to A Level I approached the two ‘new’ subjects I had chosen with excitement and some trepidation. I now realise taking Politics and Economics was the right choice. My experiences of A Level Economics have shown me the fundamental part it plays in our lives and I am keen to study it in more depth and be able to use my knowledge to complete individual economic based studies.

I am especially interested in the political nature of economics and feel that the two disciplines are complementary. I also enjoy looking at the Economics of Work & Leisure as it emphasises the importance economics has on consumer choices in everyday life. I enjoy this as it looks at the subject in a practical sense rather than simply theory.

I keep up to date with current economic affairs by reading ‘The Economist’ and ‘The Times’. I have been on Work Experience in a Minister’s Parliamentary Office where I was fascinated by the diversity of issues dealt with. I work with Politics on a local level and attended the Sutton Borough Youth Parliament Election Workshops to learn how young people can be active in politics.

I have been responsible for setting up and running a Cookery Club for lower school pupils, which involves planning recipes and leading the sessions. I also run an Yr7 netball team and am a Form Prefect, which has all helped me play an active role in school life, and enabled me to develop my organisational skills. I have been able to extend my leadership skills as well as my roles being rewarding and fulfilling. I am part of the Yearbook team which has given me a chance to improve presentation skills and liaise with companies regarding production.

Completing The Duke of Edinburgh Bronze Award has improved my team work, stamina and ability to plan. I was able to enrol in the CISCO networking programme and have learnt how to set up and run computer networks. I have been part of a team who have set up a School Council which has improved my interpersonal skills and leadership skills. These have been backed up by previous work experience placements in large and small companies.

For as long as I can remember I have had a love of sports and have represented my school at athletics, netball and hockey amongst others. I am a keen spectator and have been to many events including the Commonwealth Games.

I hold an NCFE Exercise Certificate and intend to use this knowledge to further develop my coaching ability. I wish to remain involved in sport whilst at university and beyond. I enjoy travelling, and my passion for skiing has enabled me to visit a number of European countries and the USA. I am energised by the prospect of facing new challenges at university, including working and living independently. I have the will and ability to succeed and strive for excellence in everything I do.

This personal statement was written by Sophdoph for application in 2004.

Sophdoph's university choices
University of Bath
University of Bath
Oxford University
The University of Manchester
University of Southampton
University of Surrey

Degree
Economics at University of Southampton

Sophdoph's Comments

A bit cliched, and my dad's a teacher and that shows. I think I balanced academic work things with interests well, even though probably wrote a bit too much on my outside interests than is advised.

how the hell can someone have

how the hell can someone have time to be a perfect student, outgoing, popular, athletic and have bare holidays at the same time.its not possible where i come from.

It's not possible..

It's not possible..

Good Content but needs loads

Good Content but needs loads of work - Notice how 95% of the sentences in this PS start with "I"... Not advisable

Anyone using the word bare, i

Anyone using the word bare, i.e. "bare holidays" can't be any of the things you described, let alone a combination of them.

Because it makes no sense? In

Because it makes no sense? In actual fact, to take one defition, bare means 'scarcely or just sufficient' - in the opposite light of what people mean.

On the PS: there are a lot of very impressive ECs, but I think it somewhat overshadows his interest/passion in economics which in my opinion is most important.

Good luck to 2007 applicants!

You NEEED 2 write MORE about

You NEEED 2 write MORE about d SUBJECT!!! and LESS about your lifestory!!