Economics and Management Personal Statement Example 2

My interest in Economics goes beyond an appreciation of statistics and profit margins.

In my mind, economics represents the relationship between people and their money – a relationship that dates back to the history of mankind. Humanity has always attempted to control, and thus been controlled by, the distribution of resources and its effects on the world.

As long as I can remember, I have been fascinated by the laws of supply and demand, the way businesses handle expenses, and the influence trade has on world relations. My natural affinity for logic and mathematics, along with my high school education in calculus and mathematics at the AP and IB levels, makes me a prime candidate for competency in such a field.

Studying Economics in university has always been a goal of mine; knowledge of the field is essential to a member of today’s global society.

Being able, however, to analyze market trends and maximize revenue are skills unfulfilled without the ability to work with people.

Understanding the human side of business is equally crucial to the productivity and success of any company or government. Success in business management requires a mind open to new ideas and different types of people. It requires a high degree of comfort in working with others, and an ability to solve problems quickly and efficiently.

Leadership is a skill that comes naturally to me, as I’ve found ways to contribute both inside and out of school. I’ve run for, been elected to, and served successfully as Vice President and then President of my high school class of nearly 500 students.

For four years I have participated in organizing school spirit in my volunteer Leadership class, and enjoyed helping to put on community service events in my community. Currently I hold the position of captain for my school’s colorguard team, reigning champions in northern California.

The position requires a great deal of hard work, organization, communication, and forming bonds within the team. The experiences I’ve had as a leader guide me to study Management, where I hope to further improve my talents and utilize them in a successful international business environment.

Growing up near San Francisco in the United States, in one of the most culturally diverse areas in the world, has provided me with a mind and heart open to people of all backgrounds, personalities, and opinions. Diversity is an incredibly important aspect of my life, and I hope that such a receptive attitude would be a welcome addition to university.

Studying in the UK has always been, admittedly, a bit of a fantastic dream, which many told me would take quite a bit of hard work and luck. Having spent my entire life in the suburbs, I hope my desire to experience a new way of life is understandable.

I had the good fortune of being able to visit Europe for the first time this summer. I spent eight days in London and 2 traveling through south east England.

I fell in love with London’s Underground and the opportunity to stand in one spot and hear five different languages spoken. I enjoyed the weather so drastically different from that at home.

I was charmed by Oxford’s medieval buildings and village feel. An opportunity to study what I love and make a career out of it would only be heightened by doing so in the beautifully different United Kingdom.

This personal statement was written by ohfasho for application in 2000.

ohfasho's university choices
Oxford University
University College London

Degree
Economics and Management at Oxford University

ohfasho's Comments

I wrote this at 3 in the morning.. meh I don't know how i feel about it haha. I applied to Oxford and University College London... we'll see!

wErE U sElEcTd ???

wErE U sElEcTd ???

Hello

I am applying to the economics and management course at Oxford too this year. I am also applying for the management course in kings college london. I think you need to work on your personal statement and show your passion

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello

Hello