Computer Science Personal Statement Example 42

I have always had a natural flair for computers and this has become clearer to me over the past three years in full-time employment.

I find that the IT skills that I use everyday as a legal secretary such as touch-typing and using specialist legal and accounts software have always come more naturally and easily to me, without any training, than others in my sector.

I have always had a very logical and analytical mind. This is demonstrated by my consistently high grades, specifically in the areas of electronics (at GSCE level), physics and maths (at A level). I am a very fast learner and have always been able to pick up new concepts and methods with ease.

I have always thought of myself as quite creative as well - at school I excelled at art and design and with my electronic products project I was a finalist for the Welsh Young Innovator of the Year Award in 2001.

I have also gained invaluable skills in employment in the last few years. I become a lot more organised when I worked as a production planner for a manufacturer and distributor of fibre optic telecoms equipment as I had many responsibilities. These included planning jobs into production and liaising with the sales team, checking stock levels, purchasing components necessary for jobs, chairing the daily production meetings and organising the despatches and couriers.

From October 2006 I have worked as a legal secretary. My IT and organisational skills have enabled me to excel at this. I am extremely efficient and have worked consistently hard to improve my own efficiency and implemented new templates and spreadsheets.

I have also found my good internet research skills to be extremely useful. I always endeavour to improve myself and whilst working as a legal secretary I have completed a Legal Secretaries Diploma course at home and gained a 'Highly Commended' certificate.

As well as the skills I have gained the time I have spent in full-time employment has also given me far more focus and determination to succeed than I had five years ago.

Supporting myself has also made me a lot more responsible and mature. I therefore feel that I have both the intellectual and personal skills to be able to successfully study for a degree in computer science at Bangor.

The course appeals to me because of the wide range of interesting subject areas, the chance to combine theoretical study with hands on projects and the specific and technical skills which I will gain and I know are much sought-after in the workplace.

This personal statement was written by RachIT for application in 2009.

Hi, I know this was from a

Hi, I know this was from a couple of years ago so don't know if I'll get an answer. I'm in a similar situation to yours and wondered if you got into university with this personal statement? Obviously I'm not going to copy it, just wondering how you got on! Thanks :)