Computer Science Personal Statement Example 32

Since the age of six, when I received a Commodore 64 as a Christmas present, computers have fascinated me. As I have grown up, the use of computers has increased beyond most expectations. Today they are involved in almost every aspect of our lives, and it seems as if the list of possibilities that they will offer us tomorrow is almost infinite. This is why I want to study Computer Science

At a very young age, I began to write simple programs in BASIC to run on my Commodore 64. Soon after I was introduced to the internet, I learned HTML and JavaScript and set up my own website. When the time came, I was delighted to be able to take up what had previously been a hobby as an academic subject - first with GCSE Information Systems and then with AS and A-Level Computing.

As part of my A-Level Computing course, I had to learn Turbo Pascal, which taught me about the need for structured programming. My project is a browser-based intranet that uses ASP to take information from a database and display it on the relevant web pages. The system will hopefully be used by my school to provide general and subject-specific information for students

I have many specific interests within the field of Computer Science that I wish to develop during my time at university. These include Artificial Intelligence, Language Processing, Information Security and Encryption and Human-Computer Interface.

In February of this year, I spent a week with **** Software Ltd in Belfast, where I tested a document management system that was being developed and got a real insight into the world of a software developer. In order to help people and gain further relevant experience, I hope to volunteer to work in an internet café operated by the RNIB next summer

I am studying what many would consider to be a broad spectrum of A-Level subjects. I chose Biology because I enjoy finding out about the human body and I have a particular interest in Genetics and Biotechnology, areas that I feel will rely heavily on computer modelling in the future because of the sheer amount of data involved

History helps me to understand today's world by learning about the past and also helps to develop my analytical skills. I decided to study Mathematics because of its obvious relevance to Computer Science, and because it provides me with an intellectual challenge and a sense of satisfaction that only comes with arriving at a completely correct solution to a given problem. I feel that this varied academic background will help me immensely in my studies and in my ambition to become well-rounded

Aside from studying, I have a number of diverse interests. I am heavily involved in debating and mock diplomacy.

My recent achievements include being highly commended for my representation of China on the Security Council at the **** College Belfast Model United Nations summit in October 2001, being a runner-up in a Youth Leadership Competition organised by the Rotary Club, and being part of a team of four who won a debating competition organised by Amnesty International to raise awareness of the new Bill of Rights for Northern Ireland.

I also enjoy playing the clarinet. While I was a member of a jazz band, I went on concert tours to Washington DC and Boston, Massachusetts and played at the official opening of the Waterfront Hall in Belfast

In my spare time, I enjoy socialising with my friends, going to the cinema, using the internet and reading. My favourite work of fiction is probably Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. As for non-fiction, I particularly enjoyed A Brief History of the Future - The Origins of the Internet by John Naughton and A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar

When I finish my degree, I may decide to undertake post-graduate study. Whether or not I do so, I would eventually like to use my Computer Science skills to work for a government agency, or another non-profit organisation.

i actually fancy you xx

i actually fancy you xx