Computer Science Personal Statement Example 36

I have a long standing interest in computing and computer related systems and technology. When I was young I used to enjoy taking things apart to see how they work, and my interest in computers particularly was peaked when I attended work experience in year 10 at a computer shop.

They had some old Pentium II computers selling at a cheap price, and having always wanted a computer of my own, I decided to buy one. In dealing with the problems associated with setting up and running an old system, I learnt much about computers and the way they work, and gained a strong passion for all things technological.

In attempting to add new hardware to an aging machine, where nothing was simply 'Plug and Play', I had to teach myself all about memory allocation and related issues.

All my computers since then had been hand-me-downs, such as the Pentium III powered PC my Grandad gave me, and most recently a Dual Xeon server my Dad gave me because it was always breaking and he'd given up with it. Given a couple of days, I had it up and running smoothly with no troubles whatsoever.

Whenever I visit friends and relatives, I usually find myself fixing someones PC or new television, and I find it flattering that I am often the first person people think of when they have a technological problem.

Now, having started a job at Mills Newsagents, which has given me many skills, such as communicating effectively with new people, and learning how retail technology and systems work and are used, I have finally gained the funds to hand pick components and build myself my dream PC, dealing with all the problems and difficulties that arise from making a stable yet fast gaming system for a budget of under £600.

At the time of writing, I am currently studying electrical and electronic engineering at Lincoln College. This has given me a broad foundation of knowledge not only on computers, but many technology and business systems, ranging from hardware aspects to programming.

My tutor has stated that I am on track for a DDD final grade, the best that can be obtained. I am a hard worker, with a keen interest in all computer and related technology, and the enthusiasm to carry me through.

At the age of 12, I completed an RSA 1:Word and Text Processing course with a pass, outside of school in an independent voluntary course, as the only child in the group.

I feel that going to University could help me achieve my life goals and broaden my knowledge immeasurably, while feeding my hunger for all things technological.

This personal statement was written by cherryduck for application in 2008.