Chemical Engineering Personal Statement Example 6

I enjoy science because it personally interests me and can be applied and made useful in everyday life. At university I hope to study chemical engineering because I am good at chemistry and maths and would like to apply them to a practical course that is challenging yet rewarding.

I have good communication skills and enjoy solving problems using precise, logical methods and would like to study a course that involves and builds on these.

During the summer break I attended a Science, Engineering and Technology week and participated in groups in various workshops held by twelve different science and engineering disciplines (including Chemical, Civil & Physics). This allowed me to see the aspects of each and I decided that I wished to pursue a career in engineering using the application of science.

I subsequently contacted a number of different engineers to talk to them about their occupations in industry and found that chemical engineering best suited my personality and interests. In order to gain a practical insight into my chosen career path I am currently arranging work experience in a nearby oil and gas company and hope to observe what it is like to be an engineer with real responsibilities.

I would like to study a degree that leads to a fulfilling and successful career. For that reason I am also particularly looking forward to expanding my knowledge in business, I.T. and leadership in addition to the chemical engineering aspects of the course. I aim to become capable of taking my knowledge and competence into the workplace and serving as part of a multidisciplinary team of engineers in order to productively and economically complete projects.

I am driven by always doing the best I can and have received great feedback about my enthusiastic style, participation and for being proactive. I was nominated by my peers and staff to be a sixth year house captain and work alongside five others, largely to help younger pupils and set a good example.

This opportunity highlights that I am viewed as being responsible and has taught me how to resolve challenging situations. Other examples of my motivation to succeed include my fifth year exam results. I gained five A's at band one and received four prizes for marks leading to me being awarded Senior Dux.

At school I spend time on a weekly basis learning basic British Sign Language and hope to further my learning in this new language through Linlithgow Academy's links with Donaldson's school for the deaf. Outside school I hold a part time job at John Lewis which involves me upholding the company's excellent customer service values and requires me to be highly organised and hard working.

In my leisure time I enjoy running and regularly compete in 10K races, testing my determination and continually trying to improve my race times. However I prefer playing team sports such as football as I do enjoy being a team player. Over the past five years I have taught myself how to play guitar and bass guitar in my spare time as I find this useful in helping me to relax.

My overall goal is to achieve Chartered Status and a Masters degree in Chemical Engineering is my first stage in enabling me to combine all my attributes, strengths & career ambitions. The high standards expected in chemical engineering fit my personal motivation and love of achievement.

This personal statement was written by ds722 for application in 2008.

ds722's Comments

Had to be done eh