Biomedical Sciences Personal Statement Example 35

The human body is a masterpiece of creation. The complexity of communication between cells, intriguing defense mechanisms against disease and the beholder of the blueprint to human existence; the human body is a world in its self.
Its diversity in coping with disease has captivated me since I was a child. My Nan was a great inspiration in my education, providing me with many books to fuel my thirst for knowledge. Her death to cancer, along with my Auntie's prolonged battle with Multiple Sclerosis has given me an insight into how illness can affect a person's life. This has provided a great determination to understand the causes of such devastating diseases.

Studying A-levels in biology and chemistry has confirmed my desire to understand these concepts as I find them stimulating and fascinating. A course in biomedical science will allow me to pursue a career as a research scientist. In particular I have enjoyed aspects of immunology and genetics during my studies in biology. Recent coursework in geography allowed me to explore heart disease and malaria from an epidemiological point of view. I found studying disease from this perspective very interesting. I have also found many aspects of chemistry rewarding, especially features of organic chemistry such as the module surrounding diabetes, along with topics including biochemistry.

Work experience with the Peninsular Medical School allowed me to engage in valuable practical experience. This involved an insight into research of various aspects of diabetes, and included immunohistochemistry, PCR and gel electrophoresis. I found the method for immunohistochemistry fascinating, and was able to participate in the procedure, eventually producing photographs of the pancreas tissue from a microscope. This experience has further inspired me to pursue a career in biomedical science.

Along with my studies I have taken part in a number of school activities. I was a student leader (prefect) during years 10 and 11, which involved watching younger students in the ICT suit, and overseeing their work during lunch times. This involved me being punctual and helped develop my leadership skills. During year 12 I completed a mental health course with Coasts, and a course with the Leadership Trust. Activities with the Leadership Trust aimed to develop myself as an individual through a number of tasks. These tasks also helped improve my ability to work in a team along with my problem solving skills. I have also participated in house music festivals which I found very enjoyable.

Recently I have acquired a part time job as a sales assistant at Toys R Us, which has improved my confidence and interpersonal skills. During my spare time I take pleasure in drawing. The attention to fine detail and the calming atmosphere provides a break from my studies. I also take pleasure in various sporting activities. Since the age of 9 I have been a keen horse rider, and although I am unable to have my own horse, I take riding lessons on a regular basis. I enjoy horse riding as it gives me a break from my studies whilst still making me use my initiative. Surfing is another sport which I have a passion for. Travelling to various surfing locations around the South West is inspiring and it has also improved my ability to make decisions whilst under pressure. I also enjoy finding out about new discoveries and breakthroughs in science. One example that I found distinctly interesting was the patient who appeared to be cured of HIV after a bone marrow transplant.

Studying biomedical science at university will be a valuable experience which I feel I am ready to accomplish. University has been my ambition since I was a child and I believe I have gained the personal qualities to achieve my potential.

This personal statement was written by holzrokz for application in 2009.

holzrokz's Comments

It got me offers from all 5 universities i applied to :) (Essex, Surrey, UWIC, Aston and Oxford Brookes)

What AS levels did you get?

What AS levels did you get? And what A levels were you predicted?

i got BCCD at AS level and

i got BCCD at AS level and BBD at A2 level so not really amazing but wouldn't have had a chance without that personal statement

did you have an interview at

did you have an interview at aston or was it a straight offer?

a straight offer

a straight offer

Oooooooooooooooooo... i like

Oooooooooooooooooo... i like the ending... :-)
well done mate...