Archaeology and History Personal Statement Example

When I was younger, I had always wished to travel to the United Kingdom. I loved everything about it: the history, the architecture, the food, the people, the music, and so much more. Living in a rural part of the United States, it was rich in a culture completely opposite to my own. This made it all the more exciting. My intrigue only grew stronger over the years, and as I grew older, this fascination turned into something so much more.

I decided I wanted to attend a university in the United Kingdom the beginning of my senior year of high school. At that point in time I didn’t know where, exactly; just that I did. Being a person who greatly appreciates European history and who has always known that learning everything it has to offer was what they wished to do for the rest of their lives, the possibility of studying at a university in the United Kingdom was like an open doorway to a world of opportunities. I was filled with determination from this point onward. I wanted to succeed, and even now as I write this, I am more bound for success than ever.

My interest in history began with my childhood. I was particularly fond of Egypt, particularly mummies. I would peruse any book I could find about the subject, some I’m sure you wouldn’t typically expect to see in someone of my age’s hands. I felt as if I needed to know all that there was to know and more. Although the countries might have changed, this same dedication persisted no matter what the place or subject. Today, I am rather partial to Central and Eastern Europe and even more specifically, the United Kingdom and Romania. My life’s dream has been to live in and learn from these countries’ pasts and will do everything I can to achieve this goal.

Other than history, I have been very much involved languages and the arts. A piano was bought for me on my ninth birthday; I picked up the cello a few years later. In high school, I was a constant member of the symphony orchestra, the first of three orchestras in our school and one of the leading orchestras in the state where I live and possibly the entire country. We have played at the Chicago Symphony Center, Carnegie Hall in New York City, and in various other venues. I have even had the fortune of playing with a local band, here in Oklahoma, Horseshoe Road. As for languages, I have studied Latin, Chinese, and four years of French. Latin I currently wish to continue studying.

My goal is to work in a museum, do something notable with my life and hopefully find myself in history’s timeline itself. By attending a university in the United Kingdom and majoring in Archaeology and History, I aim to make this happen.

This personal statement was written by ingeresc for application in 2010.